Saturday, November 29

  Last night was one of the most dramatic nights of my life. There was an awards ceremony for the seniors of he football team, and a ceremony of remembrance for Mike Costello. Not even twenty minutes into the ceremony, no one other than Tino and Victor come through the door. They are not there to watch, however. They march past all the players, families, coaches, and administrators, and straight for Erik and Arthur. The two football players didn't see it coming, and suddenly Tino and Victor were viciously beating them up. Tino took Erik, knocked him over and kicked him in the nose, probably breaking it and causing severe bleeding. They fell to the floor, badly injured by a couple of seventh graders. Tino spoke with confidence, but a slight tremble when he said, "I'm Tino, and I do Luis' light work."
  When the coach tried to break up the fight, I hurled myself at him without thinking. I was pulled off of him, still kicking and throwing punches violently. Running faster than I knew was possible for myself, I left the gym, the school, and down Route 89. When I finally reached a spot I felt safe, I saw Arthur and Erik approaching in the Land Rover. They got out, with a bat in hand. Apparently, my safety and the fact that we were related meant nothing to my brother. They began threatening me, about how I was going to pay for what my friends did that night. Arthur went on to say things that apparently jogged some kind of memory in Erik, for he spun out of control, full of rage. "Shut up Castro!" he screamed. They jumped in the car and took off. Suddenly, I remembered something I was unable to before. My parents told me I looked at a solar eclipse, and that damaged my vision, but now I remembered the truth. Vincent Castro was my brothers henchman back when I was about 5, and he about 8. I remember Erik, being the twisted little boy he was, order Castro to do something that affected me forever. Erik pinned me down, and held my eyes open. Castro sprayed silver spray paint in my eyes. No matter how hard I screamed, and how much it hurt, they did not stop, and continued to laugh at me. I know my parents saw the paint in my eyes also on Erik's hand, but decided not to mention it. Why would they keep that from me?